By Cacinda Maloney
Yamas! “Stin ygia mas!”
Cheers! To our good health nosubhealth.com !”
Glasses ching as the patrons smile and look out over the villas jutted up next to the mountains with gorgeous bouganvillas, cactus and fig trees abound.
The cheer, the setting, the food as well as love is always in the air in Santorini. What is not to love about it?
While there, you must do these things:
- Rent a car and go to the “Heart of Santorini”, directions on how to get there are on my linked page and see the Chapel of Agios Nikoloas built into the side of the caldera.
- Try the Greek specialty of candied figs with feta cheese and Greek honey, which make for the perfect apertivos. Or how about feta stuffed olives, that are deep fried? Delicious.
- Take a catamaran day to sail across the bay to see the smaller volcanic islands that make up the rim of the crater and see the colorful beaches of Santorini. I charted a catamaran with my travel partner and there was only one other couple and the crew. It is a way to catch a glimpse of the caldera from the sea instead of from land and allows you to see some of the most famous beaches (the red, the black and the white beaches of Santorini). It was the best day I had in Santorini!
- Stay in a cave house. The architecture is unique and you will enjoy these houses built by the fisherman years ago and they have now been turned into modern and luxurious holiday retreats by famous architects.
- Go to Oia and wait for the sun to set. Literally, this is fascinating, as you have dinner, wine and conversation, you’ll watch as the sun goes beyond the horizon. You can also admire it from Fira, Firostefani or Skaros in Imerovigil. The Oia Castle will be packed with tourists, so for a more secluded spot, choose Faros in Akrotiri, where you will be almost the only one there. Or you can choose the highest spot on the island, Pyrgos.
Other Related Things To Do in Greece:
Disclosure: The day I sailed Santorini, I was a guest of Brama Yachts and I cannot not recommend them enough. The crew was professional, delightful and fun. They treated us like kings and queens for the voyage and the food was delicious!